Southern Leyte is a province of the Philippines located in the Eastern region. Maasin City is the capital of the province. The province ranks as the second least populated area in the region. Southern Leyte contributes to the economy of the country. It forms an important part of the inter-island transportation system of the country, with ferries transporting people and goods. The province is well known for being the country's major producer of abaca fiber. The native language is Cebuano and the major language spoken in the province. People in the province are generally Roman Catholics in religion.
There are five telephone exchange companies operating in the province and two radio stations. It has also other types of communication including SSB radios for government offices and cellular phones for government and private entities.
For transportation, there are six designated bus terminals in Southern Leyte: Maasin, Liloan, Sogod, San Juan, Hinunangan and Silago. However, these terminals are open spaces used by buses as parking areas and are therefore not equipped with buildings and other facilities.
Southern Leyte has a total of 12 seaports, two of which are declared as national ports, the Maasin and Liloan ports and the 10 are municipal ports. Of these 10 ports, five are operational, namely, Maasin, Liloan, St. Bernard, San Juan and Sogod. By sea, travel to Cebu from Maasin port takes an average of six hours and a maximum of two hours. A ferryboat from Liloan to Surigao takes three hours.
Southern Leyte has one existing airport the Panan-awan Airport located in Maasin City. At present, however, the airport does not service any commercial flight. It has no terminal and can only accommodate aircraft for general aviation weighing 12,000 pounds and below at daytime.
Here are the best tourism activities that can be done in Southern, Leyte:
- See the world-renowned stalactites and stalagmites inside the Cambaro Cave in Macrohon, Southern Leyte.
2. Enjoy scuba diving in Napantao Dive Resort, considered as one of the best dive sites in the country located in San Francisco,Southern Leyte .
3. Read your favorite book in one of Kuting Reef cabana or casita's verandah.
Kuting Reef is a fine pebble beach resort situated in Brgy. Asuncion, Macrohon, Southern Leyte.
or dine in their restaurant
4. Get yourself wet in Cagnituan Falls and Subterranean River in Cagnituan, Maasin City, and feel like you are Indiana Jones.
5. Watch or swim with the whale sharks in Panaon Island in Liloan, Southern Leyte.
6. Go swimming and shell hunting in Bitu-on Beach,a white sandy beach in Brgy. San Roque, Liloan, Southern Leyte.
7. Visit the Tahusan Beach in Hinunangan, Southern Leyte. A beach which is similar to Papohaku Beach in Molokai, Hawaii.
8. Explore Kuting Reef shoreline in a Kayak and discover the natural underwater jacuzzi.
9. Tour Limasawa Island in a speed boat and power walk to the cross of Magellan.
Limasawa is an island located off Padre Burgos on the most southerly tip of Leyte and is known because it contains various exotic marine life.
10. Dip into Kuting Reef signature infinity pool from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm and watch the magnificent sunset from the pool's reflection.
So what are you waiting for?
Come, witness and experience Southern Leyte's Pride!!!
Tel: 053 - 5721023 / 02 - 7943263
Mobile: 0905 - 6685873 / 0917 - 5215903
How to Get There